Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Tired of Being Tired?

How much sleep do you get every night? The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults get atleast 8 hours. Children age 3-5 should be getting 11-12 hours and elementary age kids should snooze for 9-11 hours. Getting to bed earlier is always on my to do list... unfortunately it's usually at the bottom underneath everything I have to get done before I can go to bed! I usually try to get to bed by 11 pm and get up about 5:30 every morning. Six and a half hours isn't cutting it. My Real Simple magazine had a article on Power Napping this month...something I have bought into for a long time. Short naps in the afternoon can be a great benefit to those not getting enough sleep at night. The tough part is getting over the guilt of actually taking a little siesta. Sleep is now thought of as a luxury rather than a neccessity and in order to successfully nap, you have to believe that you deserve it. So think of it as a favor to your body, mind, and overall health and nap away! Apparently our kids are not getting enough zzz's either...the photo is of Carter one night waiting for me to get supper on the table.

No comments: