Sunday, November 06, 2005

In a Weekend

So I had strep throat this weekend....the second time in three weeks. Since I didn't feel like doing much else (and Tim was on dad duty today since he is home from his trip) I spent my entire day in bed reading this book A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. It was one of those books that you just can't put down, you have a sense of urgency to get to the next page, and that you reluctantly turn the last page because you don't want the book to end. Reading it left me emotionally exhausted...it is very raw and honest, and at times can make you physically ill. It took me awhile to get over all of the swear words...they were a bit of a turnoff for me. However, the author is able to evoke in you what it really feels like to be an addict. Even if you have not had to deal with an addiction to drugs or alcohol (although I suspect that on some levels we all have had to come to terms with some sort of an addiction), you are able to identify with the author's pain and determination. Even though I do not agree with James Frey's belief system and feel sorry for him in many ways, his experience is moving, intense, and inspiring. Read it if you get a chance; I would be interested to hear what you think.

No comments: